Our Monthly Newsletter

March News Letter

Can you believe that it is March already? Spring is right around the corner. It has been one heck of a winter...spring one day and winter the next. Not as much snow as I would like though. The storms have been pretty strong at times. There is not a whole lot going on in March but let’s see what we have: March. March 1st is National Pig Day, The week of March 3rd is Professional Pet Sitters and National Wildlife Week, the 10th is Daylight savings begins, the 17th is St. Patrick’s Day, the 18th starts Poison Prevention Week, the 20th is the first day of Spring, the 23rd is National Puppy Day, the 25th is Palm Sunday, the 28th is Respect Your Cat Day, the 30th is Good Friday and the 31st Passover Begins. Enjoy the weather, dress in the green and be safe.

I would also like to tell everyone that Dr. McCollum was awarded the TVMA Lifetime Achievement Award, last Saturday at the TVMA Conference in Murfreesboro. It is a great honor for a great man and veterinarian.

Pam

Poison to Pets

There are many things that are good for humans but poisonous to pets. Last year there were more than 100,000 cases of pet poisoning in the US. Many of these were from things that are in your home. Depending on the substance, ingestion, or inhalation, the symptoms can be gastrointestinal and neurological problems, cardiac and respiratory distress, coma, and even death.

Top 10 pet poisons:

  1. Medications for people. Drugs that might be helpful to you and your family can be detrimental to pets and small amounts may be very harmful. Some of these medications include: Nonsteriodal anti-inflammatory medications such as acetaminophen(Tylenol), Ibuprofen or naproxen, which can cause stomach and intestinal ulcers or kidney failure. Antidepressants, which can cause vomiting, raises in temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure, and may cause seizures. Isonaizid, a tuberculosis drug, is difficult for dogs to process. Even 1 tablet can cause problems in a small dog. Symptoms include seizures and coma.

  2. Flea and Tick products. Problems occur when a pet ingests the medication or too much of a product is given or applied.

  3. People Food. Animals process foods different than humans and some human foods are extremely dangerous to pets. For example, Chocolate can cause vomiting in small doses and death in large quantities. Dark chocolate contains more of the dangerous substances than do milk or white chocolate. Coffee and caffeine have similar dangerous chemicals. Alcohol poisoning in animals is similar to those found in humans and may include vomiting, breathing problems, coma and, in severe cases, death. Avocados are healthy to humans, but have a substance called persin that can act as a pet poison, causing vomiting and diarrhea. Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, overheating, and vomiting after consumption by pets. Raisins and grapes can induce kidney failure in dogs, even a small number may cause problems in some dogs. Xylitol sweetener is found in many products including sugar free gum and candy. It causes a rapid drop in blood sugar, resulting in weakness and seizures. Liver failure is also a side effect of this chemical.

  4. Rat and Mouse Poison, These products, if ingested can cause serious problems. The symptoms depend on the nature of the poison and signs may not start for several days after consumption. In some cases the pet may have eaten the poisoned rodent and not been directly exposed to the toxin.

  5. Pet Medication, Sometimes a pet may get into their own medication and ingest more than was prescribed. The most common drugs are pain killers and deworming medication.

  6. Household plants, Plants aren’t always pet friendly. Some of the more toxic ones include: Azaleas and Rhododendrons, Tulips, Daffodils, and Sago palms.

  7. Chemical hazards, Chemicals contained in antifreeze, paint thinner, and those for pools can act as poison to pets. The symptoms can include stomach upset, depression, and chemical burns.

  8. Household cleaners, Cleaners, such as bleach, can poison people as well as pets, resulting in stomach and respiratory tract problems.

  9. Heavy metals, lead, such as in paint, linoleum, and batteries can be poisonous if eaten by your pet and can cause gastrointestinal and neurological problems. Zinc poisoning can occur in pets that swallow pennies, producing symptoms of weakness and severe anemia.

  10. Fertilizer, Products for your lawn and garden may be poisonous to pets that ingest them, including licking their feet after being out doors.

If you suspect that your pet is poisoned, try to stay calm. It is important to act quickly and rationally. First gather up any of the potential poison that remains, including wrappers and the substance itself. If your pet has vomited collect that as well. Call your veterinarian as soon as possible or the poison control hot lines. ASPCA Poison Control Center: 1(888)426-4435.

Location

Office Hours

Monday:

7:15 am-7:00 pm

Tuesday:

7:15 am-7:00 pm

Wednesday:

7:15 am-7:00 pm

Thursday:

7:15 am-7:00 pm

Friday:

7:15 am-7:00 pm

Saturday:

7:15 am-1:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed